Thursday, April 21, 2011

Healthy



There were actually days, where I would worry that someone might prove coffee was bad for you, like they did with cigarettes, and no I have NEVER EVER SMOKED and I feared I would have to give up my beloved caffeine fix.

So, like any addict would do, I researched reasons why caffeine was good for you. And, then I memorized them (lowers risk of heart disease and some types of cancer, increases metabolism, and causes a temporary increase in short term memory).

I have recited these bean benefits several times, to coffee nay-sayers, throughout my drinking years.

However, I must admit that this innocent vice had recently spiraled a bit out of control... the first step is acceptance, right?

Slowly but surely, my cup a day, turned into two, and then even three cups by noon. I eventually threw the tablespoon by the wayside (who wants to clean it every single morning?), and began dumping coffee grinds by the cupful, into the filter.

I was drinking so much, strong coffee that I actually began to shake. I could feel my heart race. Even I couldn't justify putting this much caffeine in my body.

So, I decided to make the switch. I threw out the coffee grounds, and went to straight to the grocery to buy tea bags.

To be honest, I have always felt a tinge bit jealous of the world's tea drinkers; they just seem so healthy! And, after the past few months, it was time to see if I could become one of them.

I am a few weeks into my new life as a tea drinker, and I really don't miss coffee at all!

Although, I drink black tea... you know the one that you add cream and sugar to? So, it still tastes a little like coffee, but I limit myself to one tea bag a day.

The only downside? I have an lot longer list of health benefits to memorize.

Besides the positive effects of caffeine, tea has been shown to:

•Possesses antibiotic effects
•Contains anti-cancer properties
•Increases metabolic rate
•Possible anti-diabetes effects
•Boosts mental alertness
•Boosts immune system
•Lowers chance of cognitive impairment
•Lowers stress hormone levels
•Reduces effects of HIV and IBD
•Reduces blood pressure, lower "bad, cholesterol
Plus, it's half the price at Starbucks as my traditional Skinny Vanilla Latte's!

I'll drink to that!

What Can a Recovery Day Do for You?

As I anxiously await the start of what my life is soon to hold for me which I will write about in detail more on here later, I have had a lot of free time on my hands. So, in an effort to keep busy, I have focused a lot of energy on disciplined about working out every day that I can.


Of course, some days are a lot more intense than others, but I actually feel guilty when I don't carve out least 20 minutes for Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred.


However, yesterday I actually did two workouts! After suffering through an Insanity video, I was also told that we are gonna be or I need to get ready to hit up a personal trainer session with my workout buddy and friend Krista.


Needless to say, I woke up this morning sore and stiff. And although I have a pretty open day, hitting the gym is dead last on my list of things to do.

I have heard time and time again that it is healthy to take days off here and there to let your muscles heal. But, I've also heard, just as much, that you should get your heart pumping at least 30 minutes a day.


So I decided to do some research to see which rule of thumb holds true.


Turns out, a recovery day allows the body to replenish energy stores and repair damaged tissue. Without this time the body will continue to breakdown from intensive exercise which causes decreased sports performance and increase risk of injury.


Plus taking a day off makes you a lot less likely to get burnt out, and quit your workout program all together! Time away from the gym provides a mental break as well, which will enable you to return to your workout with increased motivation and vigor.


However, it is good to get some form of exercise, such as walking or stretching, every day. So, that's all my tired legs needed to devote this day to stretching, resting and maybe a little work out!!

No comments:



Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones