
I'm back.
I have been going through a lot over the past mo and have had a whole bunch of things on my mind.. There have been lots of things that have been running through my mind lots and lots of memories.
I'll share of these things with you ..I want to described what I think about my husband he is a good man and an excellent father. My husband is very aware of the needs of his children and works hard to provide for them as well as for me his me his wife. He is caring, compassionate, hard working fun loving, giving, and. He is dedicated to his family and made sure all of our needs are met. Our family lived in a more expensive area and thus he chose to work more in order to meet the needs (and many of the wants) of our family. Seems like a good man, right? So why do bad things (like a divorce) happen to good people?
Sometimes it is a matter of prioritizing one's life. In the above example, the man was dialed into his role of providing for his children and neglected his role of providing for his wife. Sure, he provided a nice home, nice car, nice clothes, and plenty of food for his wife and children. He did great at taking care of his family, but he neglected to take care of his marriage. While providing financially to his children, he neglected to provide emotionally to his wife.
I've seen the same thing happen with women and I can say a little of that is what happened with me as well. I thin we both get dialed into our role of nurturing our children that we often forget that we need to nurture each other as well. We will spend all day with the children helping them with homework, taking them to baseball practice, cheerleading and then taking care of the home. By the end of the day, we are too exhausted to even think about working on their relationship--we are too exhausted to nurture each other.
In both of these examples with men and women, both are doing great at fulfilling some of their important roles. However; both are letting other things (which are good things) take precedence over their marriage. Making your marriage a priority may mean not accepting a promotion that will give you a huge pay increase, but where you have to spend a lot more time away from your wife or husband. Making your marriage a priority may mean taking the kids out of one of their activities so that you can have more time with your husband or wife.
A man and woman's marriage should take precedence over the children, work, a clean house, and other social relationships (including online social relationships). I believe that the only thing that should come before a marriage is one's relationship with God (which is different than a relationship with one's church, church members, or church responsibilities--these come after one's responsibilities to their spouse and then their children).
Making sure your family is covered financially is a great thing, but if your marriage fails because it wasn't a priority--your finances are going to be worse than ever after the divorce (paying for two households costs a lot more money than paying for one). Having two households will also reduce the time a parent is able to spend with the children; thus nurturing the children is a great thing only if it is not at the expense of the marriage.
I am not saying that you should ignore the needs of your family or your children. I am saying that you should pay attention to the needs of your marriage and your spouse. Prioritizing your marriage takes a lot of work and consciousness, but putting forth that effort is worth if you want to have a good marriage. I think we both forgot to do these things...
I believe that prayer between a husband and wife is one of the keys to having a successful marriage. I believe that those who ask God to bless their marriage will reap the blessings of that prayer both in their individual life as well as in their relationship. It is important to pray for your spouse and to pray with your spouse. It is also important to listen to your spouse as he/she prays for you.
1 comment:
Hi Laura--
I only wish the absolute best for you. I'm sorry for what has gone on lately. I hope so badly things get much better for you. Thinking of you & sending hugs!
Post a Comment